Saturday, August 29, 2009

Of Mills and D'Urbervilles

During the summer of 2001 I lived in New York City. I had an internship outside of the city, but wanted to live in Manhattan to experience New York. I took the train every day to and from work, leaving from Grand Central Station. This is the view from the bridge in Tudor City, the neighborhood in Manhattan where I lived. It's looking down 42nd Street.













A view of the city. Yes, I lived there right before 9/11.









Since my commute was about an hour each way, I had lots of time to read (or nap). Two of the books that I read during this period were Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Mill on the Floss. I recommend them, but I don't recommend reading them one right after the other. It's just a bit too much tragedy if you read them so close together. Tess of the D'Urbervilles was written by Thomas Hardy, and The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (a pen name for a female author).


2 comments:

Tarnation said...

This is a beautiful post. I wish my blog was as inspiring as yours. Maybe if I talked about something more uplifting...

Taryn said...

Which book is less tragic? I'll start with that one.

You were such a brave, young, tiny girl in a huge city.