Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Libeled Lady















Libeled Lady. A wonderful old movie with Myrna Loy, William Powell, Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy. Witty, charming, sophisticated. . . . You have to listen to the dialogue closely, or things may quickly pass you by. For instance, if you weren't listening carefully, you'd probably miss the following exchange:

Bill Chandler: I thought that was rather clever of me.
Connie Allenbury: Yes, I thought you thought so.





























I love old movies. They didn't have the special effects of today to blow everyone's minds away, so they actually had to rely on characters and dialogue. I think there's something more intelligent and cultured about many old movies, much more so than with most films today. Don't get me wrong, I love films with special effects (The Lord of the Rings on the Ultra Screen was amazing), but too many rely on bathroom humor and blowing everything up in sight. Too often do they lower the intelligence of their audience, rather than raising everyone up a notch. Ah well. Watch Libeled Lady and revel in the wit. (Watch closely for the fishing scene - a little slapstick that is hilarious).


2 comments:

Tarnation said...

Love this movie.

Taryn said...

One of my all time favorites. I could watch it over and over.