Sunday, August 23, 2009

I pini della Via Appia

Pines of the Appian Way. By Ottorino Respighi. It's part of the symphonic poem "Pines of Rome." Respighi also wrote the symphonic poem "Fountains of Rome." I like all of them, but "Pines of the Appian Way" particularly stands out to me. I remember a time that I saw it performed live in Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan. My friend Megan was in the orchestra. The brass section was up in the balcony, which was perfect for this piece. The sound came from all around and filled the hall. It was breathtaking and gave me major chills.



















Not the Pines of the Appian Way. I've never actually seen them. This is the Pines of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. Probably less impressive, but still beautiful. And this is my husband. Not a Roman soldier, but possibly pretending to be a Jedi or something. =)

2 comments:

Tarnation said...

Great post. Inspiring. You too T. :)

Taryn said...

I've never heard this work. At least I don't think I have. :) Do you have a recording?